Midlands rivals Wolves and Birmingham City face each other again in an FA Cup third round replay after the goalless snorefest both sets of supporters endured the first time around, this is hardly likely to be a classic.
Wolves are finding life in the Premier League hard going this season and find themselves just two places and one point above the relegation zone. Mick McCarthy’s side have not won in eight matches in all competitions since beating Sunderland 2-1 at Molineux on 4 December.
But, they are not losing many either. Five of their last six matches have ended in a draw with three of those results ending 1-1. Wolves are proving tough to beat in recent times but they need wins if they are to survive in the top flight this season.
Opponents Birmingham are an improving team and after a tough first half of the season, are up to seventh in the Championship – just two points off a play-off place. Chris Hughton’s team are unbeaten in six in all competitions and their last result was a 6-0 battering of Millwall at the New Den.
However, their away form has been patchy in the league, with seven defeats in 13 matches on the road along with three victories and three draws.
This is likely to be another tight, cagey affair with neither side wanting to lose. Another 90 minutes draw is a likely result, leading into extra time and possibly penalties that neither manager will particularly want.
Verdict: Draw @ 3.4 (Ladbrokes)
- Wolves @ 2.10 (bet365)
- Birmingham City @ 3.8 (Bet Victor)
Wolves have been hugely reliant on their striker Steven Fletcher in recent matches and he can be backed at a best priced 6.0 (bet365) to open the scoring. Former Burnley striker Fletcher has scored three times in his last five matches in all competitions and nine for the season in a struggling side.
More First Goalscorers:
- Kevin Doyle @ 7.0 (Paddy Power)
- Sylvan Ebanks-Blake @ 7.5 (Bet Victor)
- Marlon King @ 8.5 (Betfred)
- Jamie O’Hara @ 9.0 (Coral)
- Nikola Zigic @ 10.0 (bet365)
- Adam Rooney @ 11.0 (Betfred)
- Stephen Hunt @ 12.0 (Betfred)
- Matthew Jarvis @ 13.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Michael Kightly @ 13.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Chris Burke @ 15.0 (Paddy Power)
- Nenad Milijas @ 15.0 (Coral)
- Stephen Ward @ 15.0 (Coral)
- No Goalscorer @ 10.0 (Sky Bet)
Again, it’s Steven Fletcher who looks likely to get on the scoresheet at some point during the game and is a stand out 2.5 (bet365). With the form he’s in, it’s not a bad price at all against Championship opposition.
More Anytime Goalscorers:
- Sylvan Ebanks-Blake @ 3.0 (bet365)
- Kevin Doyle @ 3.1 (Sportingbet)
- Marlon King @ 3.5 (Sportingbet)
- Jamie O’Hara @ 3.6 (Coral)
- Nikola Zigic @ 4.0 (bet365)
- Adam Rooney @ 4.2 (Paddy Power)
- Stephen Hunt @ 4.5 (Ladbrokes)
- Matthew Jarvis @ 5.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Michael Kightly @ 5.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Stephen Ward @ 5.5 (Ladbrokes)
- Nenad Milijas @ 6.0 (Sky Bet)
- Chris Burke @ 6.5 (Paddy Power)
Three of Wolves last six matches have ended in a 1-1 draw and it is not surprising the bookmakers have priced it up as 7.0 (Ladbrokes) favourite. The local derby element coupled with Wolves’ recent run of results suggests this is going to be a close, low scoring match.
More Correct Scores:
- Wolves 1-0 @ 7.0 (Betfred)
- Wolves 2-0 @ 9.5 (Sportingbet)
- Wolves 2-1 @ 9.0 (Boylesports)
- Wolves 3-0 @ 19.0 (bet365)
- Wolves 3-1 @ 19.0 (Boylesports)
- Wolves 3-2 @ 29.0 (Bet Victor)
- Draw 0-0 @ 10.0 (Sky Bet)
- Draw 2-2 @ 17.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Birmingham City 1-0 @ 11.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Birmingham City 2-0 @ 19.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Birmingham City 2-1 @ 13.0 (Paddy Power)
- Birmingham City 3-0 @ 51.0 (Sky Bet)
- Birmingham City 3-1 @ 34.0 (Bet Victor)
- Birmingham City 3-2 @ 41.0 (Sportingbet)