After Manchester United slipped up in the title race on Sunday following a remarkable 3-3 draw at Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur will be keen to make up ground with a victory at Anfield.
Easier said than done, however, as Liverpool are still unbeaten at Anfield in the Premier League this season and are a team hitting form when it counts.
They may have been humiliated 3-1 by Bolton Wanderers a couple of weeks ago, but that was followed up by a convincing 3-0 victory at Wolves. Kenny Dalglish has inspired his side to dumping Manchester United out of the FA Cup and reaching the Carling Cup final at the expense of Manchester City.
Last September, Spurs smashed the Reds 4-0 at White Hart Lane but are likely to depleted as they hunt a league double over Liverpool in successive seasons. Jermain Defoe, Emmanuel Adebayor and Rafael van der Vaart all rated doubtful and Aaron Lennon is struggling to be fit in time.
Manager Harry Redknapp may give a debut to striker Louis Saha who has scored just once in 18 league appearances this season for Everton and is some 942 minutes without a goal. The home side welcome back Steven Gerrard who was rested at Wolves while striker Luis Suarez is also available following an eight-match suspension.
With key players unlikely to play, Redknapp’s record of two victories on Merseyside in 28 Premier League visits may get a little worse on Monday night.
Verdict: Liverpool @ 2.15 (Paddy Power)
- Tottenham Hotspur @ 3.75 (Bet Victor)
- Draw @ 3.4 (bet365)
Craig Bellamy has scored in each of his last four Premier League starts and scored a total of five goals this season. The Wales international has become a key player for Dalglish this season and can be backed at 7.5 (Boylesports).
Selected other first goalscorers:
- Luis Suarez @ 6.5 (Boylesports)
- Andy Carroll @ 9.0 (bet365)
- Emmanuel Adebayor @ 9.0 (Boylesports)
- Rafael van der Vaart @ 9.0 (Sportingbet)
- Jermain Defoe @ 9.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Steven Gerrard @ 9.5 (Bet Victor)
- Louis Saha @ 10.0 (Paddy Power)
- Dirk Kuyt @ 10.5 (Bet Victor)
- Gareth Bale @ 11.0 (bet365)
- Maxi Rodriguez @ 13.0 (Boylesports)
- Giovani Do Santos @ 15.0 (Ladbrokes)
- No Goalscorer @ 10.0 (Sky Bet)
After an eight-match absence, it is unlikely Luis Suarez will start the game but don’t rule out a contribution from the bench. The Uruguay striker can be backed at best odds of 3.0 (Coral) to hit the back of the net at any time.
Selected other anytime goalscorers:
- Craig Bellamy @ 3.0 (Coral)
- Steven Gerrard @ 3.4 (Sportingbet)
- Andy Carroll @ 3.5 (Paddy Power)
- Emmanuel Adebayor @ 3.6 (Sportingbet)
- Jermain Defoe @ 3.75 (Paddy Power)
- Rafael van der Vaart @ 4.0 (Sportingbet)
- Louis Saha @ 4.0 (bet365)
- Dirk Kuyt @ 4.0 (Sportingbet)
- Gareth Bale @ 4.33 (bet365)
- Maxi Rodriguez @ 5.0 (Paddy Power)
- Giovani Do Santos @ 5.5 (Ladbrokes)
- Charlie Adam @ 5.5 (Sky Bet)
With two influential players returning for Liverpool in Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez, while Spurs could be without a host of attacking players, a 2-0 home win @ 10.0 (Betfred) looks appealing.
Selected other correct scores:
- Liverpool 1-0 @ 7.5 (Bet Victor)
- Liverpool 2-1 @ 9.5 (Coral)
- Liverpool 3-0 @ 21.0 (Coral)
- Liverpool 3-1 @ 19.0 (Coral)
- Liverpool 3-2 @ 34.0 (Sky Bet)
- Draw 0-0 @ 10.0 (bet365)
- Draw 1-1 @ 7.0 (Betfred)
- Draw 2-2 @ 17.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 @ 10.0 (Paddy Power)
- Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 @ 19.0 (Bet Victor)
- Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 @ 15.0 (Betfred)
- Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 @ 34.0 (Sky Bet)
- Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 @ 41.0 (Bet Victor)