Europa League Round of 32 First Leg Review
Manchester City are the bookmakers favourites to win this season’s Europa League after a first leg victory in their round of 32 tie at FC Porto.
Roberto Mancini’s side fell behind to a Silvestre Varela goal after 27 minutes but fought back in the second half through a Alvaro Pereira own goal after 55 minutes and a Sergio Aguero winner six minutes before the end.
Manchester United also won away from home, strolling to a comfortable 2-0 first leg victory at Ajax.
Ashley Young broke the deadlock after 59 minutes while Javier Hernandez made sure of the victory five minutes from time.
If you fancy an all-Manchester final, you can get odds of 10.0 with Paddy Power on it happening.
The other remaining Premier League side in the competition, Stoke City, face a tall order to qualify for the last 16 as they slipped to a 1-0 home defeat against Valencia.
A 30 yard effort from Mehmet Topal nine minutes before the break brought Stoke’s unbeaten home record in Europe to an end and gives the La Liga club a precious away goal in the second leg.
Elsewhere, Atletico Madrid took a commanding first leg lead at Lazio, winning 3-1 in Italy. Veteran German international Miroslav Klose gave Lazio the lead but an equaliser from Adrian Lopez and a brace from Radamel Falcao put the La Liga club in the driving seat.
Polish side Legia Warsaw took the lead twice against Sporting Lisbon but were pegged back to a 2-2 draw. Jakub Wawrzyniak gave Legia the lead eight minutes before the break but Daniel Carrico equalised on the hour. Janusz Gol looked to have won it for the Warsaw-based club with 10 minutes left but Andre Santos equalised for the second time late on.
Schalke 04 were big favourites to win at Plzen but were held to a 1-1 draw in the first leg. Vladimir Darida gave the Czech side a shock lead after 22 minutes but Klas Jan Huntelaar equalised with 15 minutes left to spare the Bundesliga club’s blushes.
Besiktas pulled off a surprising win at Braga who were not helped by the sending off of Helder Barbosa after 29 minutes. Tomas Sivok gave the Turkish side the lead shortly before half time and Simao Sabrosa added a second on 58 minutes.
Outright Europa League Winner:
- Manchester City @ 4.5 (Ladbrokes)
- Manchester United @ 5.0 (bet365)
- Valencia @ 11.0 (Bet Victor)
- Atletico Madrid @ 13.0 (Ladbrokes)
- Schalke 04 @ 15.0 (Sky Bet)
- PSV Eindhoven @ 21.0 (Sky Bet)
- Athletic Bilbao @ 26.0 (Sportingbet)
- Olympiacos @ 29.0 (Betfred)
- Metalist Kharkiv @ 34.0 (Betfred)
- Sporting Lisbon @ 34.0 (Paddy Power)
- Udinese @ 34.0 (Sportingbet)
- FC Twente @ 34.0 (Sportingbet)
- Hannover 96 @ 41.0 (Paddy Power)
- AZ Alkmaar @ 41.0 (Betfred)
- Besiktas @ 41.0 (bet365)
- Lokomotiv Moscow @ 67.0 (Bet Victor)
- SC Anderlecht @ 67.0 (Ladbrokes)
- PAOK Thessaloniki @ 81.0 (Paddy Power)
- Porto @ 81.0 (Sky Bet)
- Robin Kazan @ 81.0 (Sportingbet)
- Standard Liege @ 81.0 (Paddy Power)
- Stoke City @ 151.0 (bet365)
- Lazio @ 176.0 (bet365)
- Club Brugge @ 201.0 (Betfred)
- Viktoria Plzen @ 201.0 (Betfred)
- Wisla Krakow @ 201.0 (Bet Victor)
- Trabzonspor @ 251.0 (Sportingbet)
- SC Braga @ 251.0 (Sportingbet)
- Legia Warsaw @ 251.0 (bet365)
- Steaua Bucuresti @ 501.0 (Sky Bet)
- Ajax @ 501.0 (Sky Bet)
- Salzburg @ 1001.0 (bet365)